Every nursing mother wants breastfeeding to be a positive experience for her and her baby. These incredibly soft and soothingly comfortable nursing pads provide the best conditions for successful breastfeeding.
Buy LANACare Nursing Pad Combos and SAVE!
LANACare Nursing Pad Combos Include
- 2 pairs of Nursing Pads in either Softline, Original or Extra style in size XS, Small, or Medium.
- 1 250 ml bottle of Lanolin-Replenishing Soap
Discount is already included in price. No other discounts apply to combos on this page.
LANACare Nursing Pads Are Superior to Cotton or Disposable Pads
- Most women need only 2 – 3 pairs and 1 bottle of Lanolin Soap for the entire nursing period. Economical, in the long run, compared with the repetitive cost of disposables. And environmentally friendly!
- Wool wicks moisture away from your skin, keeping you dry and comfortable, even in warm climates. When the pads do feel wet, they’re warm, not cold and clammy as with cotton or disposable pads.
- Your skin is kept dry and able to breathe, allowing sore nipples to heal. Since LANACare pads contain lanolin, use of lanolin ointment is a perfect combination of treatment for sore nipples. Many women have claimed that once they began using these pads, their nipples began to heal and breastfeeding “turned around” for them.
- Scandinavian midwives have, for centuries, advised mothers to keep their breasts warm to prevent plugged ducts and mastitis. Larger sizes give protective coverage over greater a portion of the breast.
- With larger sizes, the edge of the pad falls further back on your breast, making pads LESS noticeable through clothing.
- Great, non-medicinal remedy for Raynaud’s/vasospasms! The gentle warmth of the wool keeps blood vessels dilated, preventing the pain and discomfort caused by vasospasms.
- Natural fibers of wool allow skin to breathe, maintaining a comfortable temperature even in warm climates. Moderates temperature, for comfort even when moving between hot outdoor climates and cold air-conditioned inner climates.
- Variety of sizes and styles to suit each woman’s needs!
- Women LOVE these nursing pads – how often do you hear that about a nursing pad??
“I have to tell you how amazing your wool nursing pads have been for me. Having had breast reduction surgery when I was younger, I knew I was in for a ride when my first daughter was born 2.5 years ago, but I didn’t know that part of my journey would be horribly traumatized nipples that refused to heal for 14 weeks. What changed at week 14? I got a pair of LANACare nursing pads! I had tried everything and consulted just about every expert, and nothing helped. The woolen pads turned things around in two weeks flat. A miracle! My daughter and I are still happily nursing.”
– Meg, Massachusetts
“I gave birth to my third child a little over three weeks ago, and have been dealing with *extremely* sore nipples. Nothing seemed to improve the pain I was experiencing (which was not a result of latch-on … I’ve seen two L.C.s in the past couple of weeks). Amazingly, within one day of wearing your wonderful nursing pads, the soreness has gone away! The pads are incredibly soft, warm, comfortable and absorbent. Thank you, thank you, thank you for offering such a wonderful product to nursing mothers!”
– Jane, Illinois
“LANACare nursing pads are the only nursing pads that meet the expectations that a mother have for nursing pads. When we treat mothers with sore nipples we use LANACare nursing pads allowing the breast to heal because they don’t stick to the skin but allow the new skin to heal without problems.”
– Monica Wassberg, Chef Midwife, Sweden
Which Style and Size Is For Me?
- Original – with double layer wool. Recommended for light-moderate leaking. Dry more quickly than Ekstra.
- Ekstra – with a third layer of felted wool, between 2 layers of Original weight wool, for greater barrier effect and absorption.
- Softline – the same soft, untreated organic wool, but it is mechanically processed using a new, patented method. This process bypasses spinning and knitting of the wool, making SoftLine pads an economical choice. Recommended for women with light-moderate leaking.
Guidelines in Sizing
(with understanding that each woman may have individual preferences)
- Mini (9 cm – 3 1/2 in.) – recommended most often as additional inner layer for very heavy leaking.
- X-Small (12 cm – 5 in.)- A or B cup
- Small (15 cm – 6 in.) – B, C or D cup – most commonly recommended size
- Medium (18 cm – 7 in.) – DD or larger
- Large (22 cm – 9 in.) and Oval (teardrop 18 x 27 cm – 7 x 11 in.) – for women who want even more coverage (these are much larger than most women expect, so please check measurements before ordering!)
Many women who choose size Large opt for the Oval shaped pads, which follow the shape of your breast and bra more closely. Choice depends upon where you want more coverage.
Oval (Teardrop) – intended for women with repetitive plugged ducts in area of armpit.
To be certain the size you order is what you’d like, please note the measurements of each pad size and gauge against your breast/bra. Certain bra styles may work best with the smaller sizes.
Having breastfeeding problems?
Dr. Jack Newman, world renowned breastfeeding expert and pediatrician, is a great resource if you have no one else to turn to!
Here are some clever uses for your nursing pads, once you’re no longer nursing. They’ve been tested and suggested by customers!
- For coughs & colds: Place nursing pad inside the shirt of your child directly against skin to help relieve cough, especially at nighttime.
- For menstrual cramps: Place nursing pad directly against skin, covering your lower abdomen.
- For back aches: Place nursing pad directly against skin, covering lower back, with help of underpants to hold it in place.
More About LANACare Nursing Pads
I discovered LANACare products as a new mom and midwife living and working in Sweden in the early 90’s. At that time, the nursing pads were the only available item (and only sizes Medium and Large). They were “delightful”! Superior in every way to any other nursing pad I’d seen. When I moved back to the U.S. with my family, I decided they were something I must bring with me!
The nursing pads, as all LANACare products, are made of untreated merino wool, which still contains its natural lanolin. They can absorb up to 40% of their own weight without feeling wet. When the pads do start to feel wet, the feeling is that of warmth, not cold and clammy, as with other pads. As the wool absorbs moisture, lanolin is converted to lanolin-soap, which has an antibacterial effect. It keeps the wool clean, fresh and hygienic.
For most women, two pairs are all you’ll ever need. When one pair feels wet, let it dry while wearing the other pair. The lanolin is activated and cleans the wool as it dries. The moisture evaporates away and only the milk solids are left. Eventually, depending upon how much leakage you have, you’ll feel the center of the pad get “stiff” or you’ll notice white powdery milk spots. First then, will you need to wash them. Wash by hand in lukewarm water with mild hair shampoo or LANACare Lanolin Soap. See Nursing Pads Care Instructions.
The larger size of the pads stems from advice Scandinavian midwives and nurses have long given to mothers – “keep your breasts warm to prevent plugged ducts”. My feeling is that the mild warmth keeps blood vessels dilated and “everything flowing”. Although there is no documentation that I’m aware of, I know of cases where this seems to hold true. I knew of one woman who claimed that she couldn’t go out to her mailbox without wearing her (medium sized) pads or she developed plugged ducts! As a lactation consultant, I’m aware of the many “concrete” causes for this problem, but I feel that if a woman is doing everything right, and still has a tendency to develop plugged ducts, that these pads may help. In either case, they feel extremely soothing and comfortable against tender breasts. In addition, the natural wool fibers pull moisture away from skin, keeping it dry and able to breathe, allowing sore nipples to heal. Many women in Denmark, where LANACare products are well-known, begin wearing the pads during pregnancy, claiming that breastfeeding, as a consequence, has gone more smoothly.
Even people who believe that they are allergic to wool can often wear LANACare wool directly against their skin – what they actually react to are the chemicals used to extract the lanolin from the wool – chemicals which are not used on LANACare wool.
With the growing use of antibiotics during labor, yeast infections are becoming more rampant. Yeast infections of the breast can be painful and difficult to treat. Oftentimes, boiling anything that is worn close to your breast is necessary. LANACare woolen nursing pads can be boiled, by a special method. See Nursing Pads Care Instructions.
Another, less well-known, situation in which LANACare nursing pads are a comfort is with Raynaud’s Syndrome. The nipples and perhaps areola turn white, as tiny blood vessels react to cold with spasms. It can be extremely painful and frustrating. LANACare nursing pads keep breasts comfortably warm, dilating blood vessels.
From my own personal experience of breastfeeding two children, and from the growing number of women who’ve used LANACare woolen nursing pads, I hear countless quotes of praise for the pads. As a lactation consultant, I agree with Scandinavian healthcare professionals, who claim that LANACare Natural Woolen Nursing Pads are the only pad that fulfill all the requirements a breastfeeding pad should!
Janice Emanuelsson, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Swedish Certified Nurse-Midwife
Owner of Danish Woolen Delight